OICF believes building the capacity of our nonprofit partners so that they can better serve the needs of the community is key to maintaining a vibrant community.
OICF offers many services to all of the nonprofit and service organizations on the island, including:
Resources from OICF’s Board Boot Camp
Data Points regarding Orcas Island and San Juan County
- A Vision for Eastsound
- San Juan County ranked healthiest county in Washington
- Prosperity Project 2018 – A Community Needs Assessment. This update from 2015 intends to “(A) gain a detailed, quantitative understanding of the experiences of people living in low-resource households, and (B) provide a summary of qualitative data
from other community assessments that speak to the human service needs within our three-county service region: Island, San Juan, and Whatcom counties.”
- Prosperity Project of 2015: Experiences of Poverty in Whatcom, Island, and San Juan County. The 2015 Prosperity Project is a continuation of the 2006 Prosperity Project that was convened by the Whatcom Coalition for Healthy Communities. The goal of that effort was to gain a detailed and broad understanding of the experiences of people living in poverty.
- 2010 San Juan Prosperity Project report.pdf: needs assessment for low-income families in San Juan County that involved a survey of 150 low-income households who were encountered at social and health service provider programs in late 2010 and early 2011.
- County Health Rankings and Roadmaps: an interactive map with data about health factors and health outcomes. San Juan County has ranked first in Washington State the last three years.
Helpful Online Resources for Nonprofits
- BoardSource: National organization focused exclusively on good governance practices for nonprofit board of directors, chief executives, and funders.
- Blue Avocado: Practical, provocative, and fun food-for-thought for nonprofits including Board Cafe
- GuideStar: an information service specializing in reporting on U.S. nonprofit companies. In 2010, their database contained over 5 million IRS Forms 990 on 1.9 million organizations.
- TechSoup: Technology resource aimed at nonprofit organizations featuring NPO discounts, discussions, articles, and recommendations.