OICF believes building the capacity of our nonprofit partners so that they can better serve the needs of the community is key to maintaining a vibrant community. OICF offers many services to all of the nonprofit and service organizations on the island, including:
- Ongoing Best-Practices workshops
- Use of the conference room at the OICF office (view calendar; call 360-376-6423 to schedule)
- Board retreat materials including easels and paper and facilitation recommendations
- Use of OICF’s bulk mail permit
- Library of nonprofit books
- Nonprofit directory
Resources from OICF’s Board Boot Camp
- Board Boot Camp – Slide deck
- Consensus Decision Making
- Form 990 FAQs
- Recommended Policies from the IRS 990 form
- Sample Board Profile Grid
- Sample Committee Charter
- Ten Basic Board Responsibilities
- What Board Members Need to Know about Nonprofit Finance & Accounting
Data Points regarding Orcas Island and San Juan County
- A Vision for Eastsound: http://www.orcaslibrary.org/docs/shared-comm/vision4eastsound.pdf
- San Juan County ranked healthiest county in Washington. Read the data: http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/washington/san-juan
- Prosperity Project 2018 – A Community Needs Assessment. This update from 2015 intends to “(A) gain a detailed, quantitative understanding of the experiences of people living in low-resource households, and (B) provide a summary of qualitative data
from other community assessments that speak to the human service needs within our three-county service region: Island, San Juan, and Whatcom counties.”
- Prosperity Project of 2015: Experiences of Poverty in Whatcom, Island, and San Juan County. The 2015 Prosperity Project is a continuation of the 2006 Prosperity Project that was convened by the Whatcom Coalition for Healthy Communities. The goal of that effort was to gain a detailed and broad understanding of the experiences of people living in poverty.
- 2010 San Juan Prosperity Project report.pdf: needs assessment for low-income families in San Juan County that involved a survey of 150 low-income households who were encountered at social and health service provider programs in late 2010 and early 2011.
- County Health Rankings and Roadmaps: an interactive map with data about health factors and health outcomes. San Juan County has ranked first in Washington State the last three years.
Salary & Benefit Surveys
Surveys conducted by OICF using SurveyMonkey to collect data about salaries and benefits offered by nonprofits on Orcas, Lopez, and SJI:
- 2015 Salary & Benefit Survey (20 respondents)
- 2013 Salary & Benefit Survey (7 respondents)
- 2011 Salary & Benefit Survey (17 respondents)
Helpful Online Resources for Nonprofits
- BoardSource: National organization focused exclusively on good governance practices for nonprofit board of directors, chief executives, and funders.
- Blue Avocado: “Practical, provocative, and fun food-for-thought for nonprofits” including Board Cafe (http://www.blueavocado.org/category/topic/board-cafe)
- GuideStar: an information service specializing in reporting on U.S. nonprofit companies. In 2010, their database contained over 5 million IRS Forms 990 on 1.9 million organizations.
- TechSoup: Technology resource aimed at nonprofit organizations featuring NPO discounts, discussions, articles, and recommendations.