OICF believes building the capacity of our nonprofit partners so that they can better serve the needs of the community is key to maintaining a vibrant community.
OICF offers many services to all of the nonprofit and service organizations on the island, including:
- Ongoing Best-Practices workshops
- Use of the conference room at the OICF office (view calendar; call 360-376-6423 to schedule)
- Board retreat materials including easels and paper and facilitation recommendations
- Use of OICF’s bulk mail permit
- Library of nonprofit books
- Nonprofit directory
Resources from OICF’s Board Boot Camp
Data Points regarding Orcas Island and San Juan County
- A Vision for Eastsound
- San Juan County ranked healthiest county in Washington
- Prosperity Project 2018 – A Community Needs Assessment. This update from 2015 intends to “(A) gain a detailed, quantitative understanding of the experiences of people living in low-resource households, and (B) provide a summary of qualitative data
from other community assessments that speak to the human service needs within our three-county service region: Island, San Juan, and Whatcom counties.”
- Prosperity Project of 2015: Experiences of Poverty in Whatcom, Island, and San Juan County. The 2015 Prosperity Project is a continuation of the 2006 Prosperity Project that was convened by the Whatcom Coalition for Healthy Communities. The goal of that effort was to gain a detailed and broad understanding of the experiences of people living in poverty.
- 2010 San Juan Prosperity Project report.pdf: needs assessment for low-income families in San Juan County that involved a survey of 150 low-income households who were encountered at social and health service provider programs in late 2010 and early 2011.
- County Health Rankings and Roadmaps: an interactive map with data about health factors and health outcomes. San Juan County has ranked first in Washington State the last three years.
Salary & Benefit Surveys
Surveys were conducted by OICF to collect data about salaries and benefits offered by nonprofits on Orcas, Lopez, and SJI.
Helpful Online Resources for Nonprofits
- BoardSource: National organization focused exclusively on good governance practices for nonprofit board of directors, chief executives, and funders.
- Blue Avocado: Practical, provocative, and fun food-for-thought for nonprofits including Board Cafe
- GuideStar: an information service specializing in reporting on U.S. nonprofit companies. In 2010, their database contained over 5 million IRS Forms 990 on 1.9 million organizations.
- TechSoup: Technology resource aimed at nonprofit organizations featuring NPO discounts, discussions, articles, and recommendations.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.