Investing in your community
- Giving through OICF allows you to put your charitable dollars directly to work in the Orcas community.
- Legacy gifts made to OICF will benefit the community for generations to come.
- OICF works with you to assess community needs, nurture great opportunities and provide the skills and resources to create lasting solutions.
- OICF manages many individual funds and donations, providing service and administration at very low cost.
- Directing charitable dollars via OICF is more economical than establishing an individual charitable trust or private foundation.
- Commingling of assets draws on centralized investment knowledge and experience, thereby obtaining economy of scale, larger return, lower fees, a diversified portfolio, and professional management.
- The impact of the gift is maximized because it is exempt from state and federal transfer taxes.
- A ready-made administrative structure providing for grantee assessment, grant monitoring and evaluation, and tax reporting.
- A donor may designate specific organizational recipients or establish named funds.
- OICF can accept nearly any kind of gift: cash, appreciated stock, life insurance, etc.
- The foundation has the flexibility of a private foundation without the accompanying complexity and high cost of administration.
- Peace of mind that gifts will be directed to the most pressing and reasonable needs as time goes on if the donor’s original purpose has become obsolete.
- Endowing a fund at OICF is a fitting way to memorialize or honor a loved one and create a permanent legacy that will be remembered for generations. Conversely, a donor may remain anonymous if desired.
- A donor may select a specific fund type from a broad menu which satisfies his or her particular philanthropic objectives, including the establishment of a fund in an individual or family name.
- Gifts and bequests to Orcas Island Community Foundation, a 501 (C) (3) IRS charitable foundation, typically receive the greatest income, gift, and estate tax benefits.
- Maximum tax deductions are available for charitable contributions without substantial or material restrictions on the use of the gifts.