Sign up for OICF’s eNews here. Read recent newsletters online:
OICF Kicks Off 2015 Annual Grants Cycle
The Orcas Island Community Foundation (OICF) is now accepting applications for the 2015 competitive grants program; visit the Grant Process page for information and download an application form. Trustee Coleen O’Brien will chair the committee, whose members include both OICF Trustees and community members. In the last year’s grants cycle, OICF, together with its Partners in Philanthropy, awarded over $133,000 to 28 different Orcas Island organizations including requests to help Islanders with health insurance and housing assistance through Orcas Family Connections, support the new Youth Conservation Corps, and sponsor the Orcas High School leadership training program.
Dental Van Returns to Orcas
MTI’s Dental Van continues to serve Islanders in need. Just a look at the before and after shots will make you smile. This is all possible thanks to the remarkable contributions of so many:
- the Island dentists and assistants who contribute their skills
- the volunteers who schedule, greet, and monitor the patients
- the generous community members who provide lunches and housing
- Medical Teams International and their amazing van
- the Community Church for the gracious use of their facility and
- the donors who supply the funding to make it all possible
Download an application and return it to the green drop-box outside the Orcas Public Library by January 23 (application available in word: Dental Van Application or pdf: Dental Van Application). Previous applications need to re-apply for 2015. Questions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dental van dates for 2015 are:
- January 30 and 31
- April 10 and 11
- September 25 and 26
- November 13 and 14
OICF Gains National Recognition
OICF ranked #5 in the US in gifts per capita based on a nationwide survey. CF Insights, a national foundation research organization, surveyed 280 community foundations throughout the US to assess granting and community impact. They tracked ‘Most Active Grant makers,’ ‘Most Gifts per Capita’ and ‘Most Activity.’ OICF gained the 5th place in the Per Capita category by facilitating gifts at a rate of $509 per resident. Our Foundation ranked #6 in Most Active Grant making, based on a distribution rate 22% of assets. View the CF Insights reports and data online.
This national ranking is due entirely to the generosity of so many friends and neighbors. OICF has developed an annual grants process and a state of the art online giving platform that connects donors to the many amazing projects and programs that serve the Orcas community.
Orcas Island Community Foundation (OICF) fosters philanthropy to enhance and preserve the quality of life on Orcas Island. Since 1995 OICF has:
- Assisted more than 660 donors in fulfilling their charitable giving objectives
- Granted $1,123,362 through our Annual Grants Program to 70+ Island organizations
- Managed funds currently worth over $7,000,000 in Community Endowment, Organization Endowment, and Designated funds
- Facilitated over $2,600,000 in grants and gifts from other funds under management